This module requires webtrees 1.7.0 or later.
Fancy Research Links Module for webtrees.
A sidebar module that provides quick links to popular research web sites, using the individuals name as the search reference. At the moment almost 30 research websites are supported and the list is still growing.
There is a base stylesheet added to the module which should work with any theme.
Click here for an overview of the plugins available in the latest release (1.6.0). This list is still growing.
On the Fancy Research Links configuration page you can select the plugins you want to use in the sidebar. By default all plugins are enabled.
Make your own plugin
You can extend the list of possible research sites by making your own plugin. Look in the folder src/Plugins and src/Plugins/Examples of the module for examples.
- Take a copy of one of the existing files from the modules plugin folder and rename it. Note: all plugins uses the same set of variables but not all variables are used in every plugin. Open different plugins to see how they are configured. Also read the bullets 5 and 6 to learn how to use the Example plugins from the Examples folder.
- In the new file, change the class to match the file name and change the name of the plugin to something suitable.
- At the research site you are linking to, perform a simple name only search, and note the URL the search generates. Use this to change the output of the link in your new plugin file in the function “createLink” taking careful note where the variables need to be inserted.
- The variables below are available to use in your own plugin:
- Full name = $name[‘fullname’]
- Full given name = $name[‘givn’]
- First name = $name[‘first’]
- Middle name = $name[‘middle’]
- Last name with prefix = $name[‘surname’]
- Last name without prefix = $name[‘surn’]
- Prefix = $name[‘prefix’]
- Birth year = $name[‘birthyear’]
- Birth place = $name[‘birthplace’]
- Death year = $name[‘deathyear’]
- Death place = $name[‘deathplace’]
- In the Plugin folder you will find an extra ‘Examples’ folder which contains two example plugins for a Google search using special name parts and using the birth/death year and a short or long version of the birth or death place.
- If you want two use these example plugins (modified or as is), just copy them to the Plugin folder.
- If you made a plugin that could be interesting for other users you can do a pull request or send me a copy.
- If you are not capable of making your own plugin but you want a site added to the list just sent me a request. Your message must contain a link to the website you want to add.
You can help to translate this module. Updates to translations should be made at https://translate.webtrees.net/projects/justcarmen/. Changes made there will be pushed to the git repository periodically and will be available on the development version of the module. They will be included in the next release of this module.
Installation & upgrading
For more information about these subjects go to the JustCarmen help pages.
Bugs and feature requests
Support the development of this module by making a (small) donation. Your donations are very much appreciated.